Friday, April 17, 2015

Essay: Parents and Children


I really liked the story about Clever Elsie in this weeks reading. For this weeks essay I thought I would change it up and write about parents and children since there was not really a trickster and fool in this story. In this story Clever Elsie is close with her parents and family. Her parents are looking for a man to take Clever Elsie's hand in marriage. However, they know no one will have her if they think she is not smart. So Hans comes along and is interested in Clever Elsie. To get to know Clever Elsie better they have dinner where Clever Elsie is sent to get beer. Upon her discovery she finds an axe and cries because she thinks about what if her and Hans were to have a son and he was killed by the axe. So she weeps until some one comes down to check on her. Clever Elsie's mother and father come down and weep with her when she reveals why she is crying. I thought it was really funny that everyone ended up crying in the end except Hans. I could just picture exaggerated cries from each family member. One more louder than the next. This is not something you see all the time. Some behavior I feel are common to most parent and child relationships is pushing your children to be with someone. It seems the older you get the more inclined your parents are to want to know about your love life and when you're going to get married and have children. I think that was definitely apparent in this story. Anyway, I would really recommend this story and unit. If you want to read, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment